Sunday, May 11, 2008
A New Recipe
Roast Beef Tamale Casserole
Prep: 30 min.
Bake: 25 min.
1 17-oz. pkg. refrigerated cooked beef roast au jus
1 medium poblano or Anaheim pepper, seeded and sliced*
1 medium onion, chopped
2 Tbsp. butter
2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
1 15-oz. can pinto beans, rinsed, and drained
1-1/2 cups 1-inch pieces zucchini and/or yellow summer squash
1 cup grape tomatoes, halved, if desired
3/4 of a 16-oz. tube refrigerated cooked polenta, cut into 1/2-inch slices
4 oz. Monterey Jack cheese with jalapeño peppers, shredded (1 cup)
1/2 cup sour cream
1 Tbsp. snipped fresh cilantro
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Heat beef according to package directions. Pour juice into 2-cup glass measure; add water to equal 1 cup. Coarsely shred beef with two forks.
2. In large skillet cook pepper and onion in hot butter over medium heat until tender. Stir in flour. Add juice mixture; cook until thickened and bubbly. Stir in beef, beans, zucchini, and tomatoes. Transfer to lightly greased 2-quart (8x8x2-inch) baking dish. Arrange polenta slices around edges.
3. Bake, uncovered, 20 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake 5 to 10 minutes more, until cheese is melted. Let stand 5 minutes.
4. In small bowl combine sour cream and cilantro. Serve with casserole, pass lime wedges. Serves 4 to 6.
5. *Note: Hot peppers contain oils that can burn skin and eyes. Wear kitchen gloves while handling pepper. Wash hands well after.
Nutrition facts per serving:
Total Fat (g) 31
Saturated Fat (g) 18
Monounsaturated Fat (g) 4
Polyunsaturated Fat (g) 1
Cholesterol (mg) 125
Sodium (mg) 1155
Carbohydrate (g) 40
Total Sugar (g) 8
Fiber (g) 8
Protein (g) 41
Vitamin C (DV%) 153
Calcium (DV%) 33
Iron (DV%) 26